Inventory of Stored Agents
Actively Used, Unregistered Microorganisms &/or Biological Toxins
Please follow these submission instructions for registering agents with the IBC. There are detailed instructions for the IBC electronic registration system (eRMA). Your IBC application will be reviewed at the next monthly IBC meeting (submission deadlines). Work with the unregistered agents HAS TO CEASE while the application is pending.
Stored-Only, Unregistered Microorganisms &/or Biological Toxins
All investigators (with or without previously approved IBC protocols) should file a new application for registering agents not actively used in research but held in storage. This application will serve to keep inventory of stored-only agents, which will be reviewed administratively only. This 'storage' registration will need to be updated if agents become actively used or if agents are disposed of.
- When registering stored-only viral vectors, there is no need to list the individual genes cloned into each vector.
- Unless encoding a toxin, stored plasmids, cDNA, oligos etc. do not need to be registered with the IBC.
However, once you plan to actively use these, you will have to submit an (or amend your existing) IBC registration to obtain approval prior to starting experiments in accordance with the NIH Guidelines.
Instructions for registering agents held in storage only:
- Prepare an Excel file (optional template (XLS) with in it:
- PI Name
- Storage location(s): Building and room number.
- A list of names for each microorganism being registered (including strain if applicable)
- A list of names for each biological toxin that you are registering.
- For each agent on the Select Agent list, please also provide the quantity held in storage. Keep in mind that certain toxins have to be at or below a Permissible Toxin amount to avoid Select Agent registration with the USDA/CDC.
- There is no need to register endotoxin/LPS
Note: Please store the file with the .xls extension (not .xlsx)
- Go to ERMA website
- Click on the link “IBC application” in the bottom left corner of the screen
- Login in with your NetID
- Click “Add New Form”
- Fill in your NetID
- Fill out Section 1, Click “Save, and go to Checklist”
- Click hyperlink to Section 2: Laboratory Information, and list all the rooms where agents being registered are stored. For grants, say none.
- Click hyperlink to Section 3: type in "for storage only". Click “Save and go to Checklist”.
- Click hyperlink to Section 4: click No. Click “Save and go to Checklist”.
- Click hyperlink to Section 5: click No. Click “Save and go to Checklist”.
- Click hyperlink to Section 6: click No. Click “Save and go to Checklist”.
- Click hyperlink “Upload files”
- Click hyperlink “Add another” and upload the Excel file you just created for your inventory.
- Click “Return” to go back to the Submission checklist
- Click “Section 7” to sign the application and submit to the IBC.