The Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC) oversees all animal research and instruction at MUSC in order to ensure that ethical regulatory and policy mandates governing the use of animals in research and instruction are met. The Committee has been chartered as a University Standing Committee since 1964, and is comprised of diverse members, including representatives of the public, qualified to oversee MUSC's animal program, facilities and procedures. The IACUC's charge is to:
- Review and approve the animal welfare aspects of all research and instruction at MUSC;
- Review MUSC's program for the humane care and use of animals twice annually;
- Conduct inspections twice annually on all MUSC animal facilities;
- Prepare and submit reports of its evaluations to the Vice-President for Academic Affairs;
- Make recommendations to the Vice-President for Academic Affairs regarding any aspect of MUSC's animal program, facilities or personnel training;
- Suspend any activity involving animals which violates applicable regulations, policies, or procedures, or deviates from an approved protocol.
All protocols must be submitted or amended through eProtocol. We highly recommend an IACUC consult prior to working on a new or legacy protocol.
Contact the IACUC
Phone: (843) 792-6553
The updated IACUC website will be available soon on the MUSC Horseshoe.