The Evaluation and Quality Improvement Program (EQI) within SCTR has been established for the purpose of using evaluation and quality improvement processes to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of clinical and translational research. In addition to collecting, analyzing, synthesizing, and reporting evaluation and quality improvement data, the EQI program will work closely with SCTR programs to facilitate their use of these data in their scientific efforts. The EQI program's specific goals are:
- To work with SCTR personnel to monitor SCTR activities and provide timely feedback to the Program Directors, faculty, and administrators responsible for SCTR to improve quality and increase efficiency.
- To determine the effectiveness of SCTR in achieving both short and long term goals
- To work with SCTR programs and cores to build their capacity for evaluation and quality improvement.
EQI Evaluation Theories
- Developmental Evaluation
- Utilization Focused Evaluation
- Theories of Constraints Lean Six Sigma
EQI Operational Model
Results Based Accountability (RBA)
SCTR RBA matrix with four dimensions – program effort, program effects, quantity of results, and quality of results. Based on our evaluation theories and models, evaluation questions can be grouped into seven different categories:
- Effort: How much did SCTR and each of its programs do?
- Quality: How well did they do it (e.g., fidelity to best practice)?
- Relevance to Target Population: Does SCTR and each of its programs meet the needs and priorities of the target group? How were those needs identified?
Were appropriate stakeholders engaged in planning, implementation, and assessment of results?
- Efficiency: Has SCTR and each of its programs reduced, as appropriate, cost per person, cost per unit of activity, or time to completion with no loss of quality?
- Effectiveness: To what extent have SCTR activities led to progress in accomplishing Institute and program aims?
- Outcome: To what extent has SCTR and each of its programs accomplished their aims? Were there any other unintended positive or negative outcomes?
- Sustainability: To what extent has SCTR and its programs led to the long-term system change?