This policy is designed to establish protocol for the administration of research and other sponsored programs that provide extramural support to the Medical University of South Carolina:
- The ultimate responsibility for the oversight of research of the Medical University of South Carolina resides with the President. The President delegated authority for oversight of research to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost who, in turn, assigns this responsibility to its Associate Provost for Research. The Associate Provost for Research is the Medical University of South Carolina’s chief research and sponsored programs officer. All research, training and other sponsored agreements, which are not exclusively patient care, will be administered through its Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP).
- Individuals designated to bind the Medical University of South Carolina under a limited power of attorney, as defined by a letter for the President annually:
- Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
- Associate Provost for Research
- Director, Research and Sponsored Programs
- Assistant Director, Research and Sponsored Programs
- Program Office, Office of Research Integrity
3. Agreements subject to review are:
a. All letters of requests, solicitations, proposals for training and research grants and contracts, evaluations, demonstration projects, outcomes research and any extramural support agreements whether federal or non-federal;
b. All agreements involving the use of federal flow through dollars subject to contractual provisions and subject to audit under the Medical University of South Carolina’s Schedule of Federal Financial Assistance.
4. The process for review is:
a. Investigators submit completed proposals including the Proposal Data Sheet to their Chairs (and Center Directors, if appropriate) for review and signature.
b. Some colleges are organized such that the Chair forwards proposals and the Proposal Data Sheets to the Dean or Dean’s designate for review and signature.
c. Proposals are then submitted to the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs for review and approval. The ORSP function is review and coordination of compliance issues, e.g. time and effort of participants.
d. In cases where contracts or grants to the Foundation for Research Development involve subcontracts or grants to the Medical University of South Carolina, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs must review and approve the contract before final approval by the Foundation for Research Development. When contracts or grants to MUSC involve subcontracts or grants to the Foundation for Research Development, then the Foundation must review the grant/contract before final approval by the Medical University of South Carolina.
e. For grants, contracts and agreements involving both elements of research and extensive delivery of health care (such as a regional and state prenatal program with funding subject to a schedule of financial assistance) the review and approval process adds ORSP to the procedure. The complete procedure flow Is from Principal Investigator to Departmental Chair (and Center Director, if appropriate) to Chief Executive Officer of the Medical Center to the Dean and Vice President of Medical Affairs to General Counsel to ORSP for information. ORSP review is for IRB compliance and fiscal communications for inclusion in the Schedule of Federal financial Assistance.
f. Reports of waivers of the maximum allowed indirect cost rate will be made to the Vice President for Finance on a monthly basis.
a. Agreements solely for physician/medical contractual services consistent with standard medical care are exempt from review by ORSP.
b. Solicitations, bequests, endowments, alumni gifts, deferred charitable giving are also exempt from ORSP review for budget issues. However, all research projects resulting from these funds must have necessary clearance from the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs for risk and safety issues.
The Associate Provost for Research, through its Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, has oversight and approval responsibilities for all research-related sponsored program agreements carried out by MUSC. The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs will provide review and approval of any such proposals and/or agreements and will maintain the database for compiling this information monthly for regular reports to the Provost, President and the Board of Trustees.