The Office of the Vice President for Research conducts an internal selection process to nominate a candidate for the Governor's Awards for Excellence in Science, helping to ensure that MUSC is as competitive as possible in this prestigious statewide awards program.
Established in 1985, the Governor's Awards for Excellence in Science, administered by the South Carolina Academy of Science (SCAS), are among the highest science honors in our state. The Governor's Awards for Science program was developed to honor an individual or team within the state whose achievements and contributions to science in South Carolina merit special recognition and to promote wider awareness of the quality and extent of scientific activity in South Carolina. Over the years, the program has grown to include four awards:
- The Governor's Award for Excellence in Scientific Research
- The Governor's Award for Excellence in Scientific Awareness
- The Governor's Young Scientist Award for Excellence in Scientific Research
- The Governor's Award for Excellence in Scientific Research at a Predominantly Undergraduate Institution
Collaborative team awards for collaborative projects involving multiple individuals, are eligible in each award category. The research team may include individuals from different institutions or companies.
2019 Awards: Internal selection process (Nominations are closed for this cycle.)
2019 nomination materials:
- 2019 Governor's Awards internal nomination guidelines and procedures document [pdf]
Please note this guide was developed specifically for the 2019 awards, and is subject to change for subsequent years.